Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 18946 77088
- Coordinates318946, 677088
Circa 1795; recast and converted by Ian Lindsay & Partners, 1959 - 61; basement conversion circa 1994. 3 plain vernacular 2-storey and basement, 3-bay tenements forming terrace. Rectangular-plan; accessed from front and rear; symmetrical disposition of openings. Whitewashed harl; painted surrounds to openings; continuous eaves course; timber rails to 1st floor platforms at front.
E (ENTRANCE NOS 10-15) ELEVATION: 3 2-storey, 5-bay blocks with flats at ground and 1st floors. Rubble-coped harled wall to front forming passage boundary. Single boarded timber doors at ground in central bays; flanking single windows in remaining bays to left and right. Timber railed flat platforms from 1st floor setts and drying area to 1st floor entries; single boarded doors; single windows in remaining bays to left and right. Painted surrounds to outer windows, plain surrounds with projecting cills to windows flanking entry.
W (ENTRANCE NOS 1-3 RIVERSIDE) ELEVATION: single boarded timber doors at ground in penultimate bays to left and right (Nos 1 and 3); 2-leaf timber door set in central segmental-arch (No 2). Single windows flank entries at ground; regularly fenestrated at 1st and 2nd floors in all bays.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to both elevations. Machine-made red pantile roof with grey slate easing course; raised skews. Harled apex stacks to N and S; ridge-stacks disposed equally between properties; precast concrete coping; circular cans.
INTERIORS: not seen 1996.
Statement of Special Interest
Cramond A Group. Part of an industrial community built for workers in the mills on the River Almond, Nos 6 - 15 played a key role in the Cramond restoration project carried out by Ian Lindsay & Partners between 1959 and 1961 (commissioned by Edinburgh Corporation). As can be seen at Newhaven (a scheme executed by Lindsay & Partners a decade later), the precedents set here were highly influential. Note the whitewashed harl, machine-made red pantiles and timber sash and case windows - features common to both projects. Despite an element of standardisation and complete internal conversion, the vernacular of the Scottish fishing/industrial village has been retained and the original character preserved (compare with Cross Wynd, Falkland or St. Monance, Fife - both of which were recorded by Lindsay). His work at Cramond is acknowledged as an early and relatively successful attempt to restore the architectural core of a village in decline. Previously listed as Nos 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 Cramond Village. Nos 1, 2 and 3 recently created following conversion.
Does not appear on a sketch used for the cover of J Wood's 1st edition, 1794; appears on Wood's map, 1826; Ordnance Survey maps, 1895 and 1947; J Grant, OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1882) vol III, p314-320; E J MacRae, THE HERITAGE OF GREATER EDINBURGH (1947) p11 and sheet III; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984) p553; CRAMOND HERITAGE PARK: POLICY REPORT (1985) City of Edinburgh District Council; M Cant, VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH (1986); C McKean, EDINBURGH: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1993) p162; C Pittaway, 'A NATIONAL AWAKENING': ARCHITECTURAL PRESERVATION IN NORTH EAST FIFE 1919 - 1939, St Andrews Studies in the History of Scottish Architecture and Design (1993) p39; J P Wood, THE ANTIENT AND MODERN STATE OF THE PARISH OF CRAMOND (reprinted 1994) p11; various press cuttings and photographs, Edinburgh Room, Central Library; NMRS photographs ED/15006, B 38696, ED/7560, ED/15004; City Archives, various plans, Ian Lindsay & Partners, 1959; painting attributed to John Clerk of Eldin depicts Cramond Village prior to restoration (NMRS).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.