Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 13/08/1987
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 25299 73348
- Coordinates325299, 673348
Hardy and Wight, 1884. 2-storey, rectangular-plan, 4-bay gabled Gothic church building in irregular terrace, with projecting porch and corner turret to left. Advanced, asymmetrical 4-storey 3-bay baronial tenement block canted to street line (shops at ground floor) with conically-roofed bartizan to right. Squared and snecked bull-faced grey sandstone with polished dressings. Moulded band between ground and 1st floors. Windows in roll-moulded surrounds.
CHURCH: S ELEVATION: pitch-roofed projecting porch to right, with angle buttress to left, lit by small cusped lancet in W return; 2-leaf clouted timber boarded door in hoodmoulded pointed-arch surround with carved label stops; initials (WR) in carved panel above. Single window to left, stone-mullioned bipartite to centre, with relieving arches; carved inscription panel (see Notes) in decorative tripartite frame above; plate tracery in hoodmoulded stone-mullioned and transomed 3-light window above (leaded panes above, later glazing below). Corner turret to left above angle buttresses, with stone ribbed spire and pierced trefoil openings.
W ELEVATION: 4 hoodmoulded lancets with carved label stops flanked by stepped buttresses at 1st floor. Lower level rendered.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: circular window in gable wall of church; wall stack to left; piend-roofed projection to NE.
Interior radically altered.
TENEMENT: advanced bay to right: finialled crowstepped gable; shop window to right, timber panelled door to left at ground; stone-mullioned bipartite windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; corbelled band between 1st and 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd floors; initials in decorative panel over 3rd floor window. 2-bays to left: shop window to left at ground, 2-leaf timber panelled door to centre; barred metal gate to pend at right in round-arched roll-moulded surround with colonnettes above chamfered corners; stone-mullioned bipartites to left, single windows to right at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; finialled gabled dormerheads breaking eaves (crowstepped to left, segmental-headed to right, initials in gables). 2-stage bartizan corbelled out to outer left with decorative wrought-iron finial to fish-scale-slated roof.
Replacement windows to ground floor of church building; 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to tenement. Grey slates. Stone skews. Rendered end stacks (corbelled out to centre) to tenement with some octagonal cans. Terracotta ridge to church roof.
Statement of Special Interest
The west elevation of the church incorporates part of Scheduled Monument, No 3012 and is excluded from the listing.
Place of worship (former Robertson Memorial Mission) no longer in use as such.
Inscription reads 'New Greyfriars Mission Buildings. To the glory of God and in loving memory of the Rev. William Robertson DD, for nearly 40 years minister of this Parish. AD 1884.'
Listed building record and statutory address updated, 2015. Formerly known as '4-10 (Even Nos) Grassmarket, Including Former church and Fragment of Flodden Wall.'
Dean of Guild, 4th July 1884. RSA 1888.
Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) pp. 227-8.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.