Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 25/11/1965
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 26147 74901
- Coordinates326147, 674901
Robert Brown, building 1827. 2-storey with basement and attic 6-bay terraced pair (see notes). Sandstone ashlar (stone cleaned) with rubble to side and rear elevations. Base course, aprons to ground floor windows, continuous decorative iron balcony at 1st floor, tall corniced and architraved windows to 1st floor, eaves band and blocking course, cornices removed ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
SE(PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: architraved door-pieces each to left of 3 bays with fanlights, windows to bays remaining, colonnade of coupled fluted Ionic columns at ground, regular fenestration above, 4 box dormers.
SW (GABLE) ELEVATION: blank gable wall.
NE (GABLE) ELEVATION: blank gable wall.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 6 bays grouped 2-1-2-1, 4-storey, 3 single storey projections at ground with windows, regularly fenestrated above.
Timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing at ground and 15-pane glazing at 1st floor, grey slates, gablehead and ashlar ridge stacks with terracotta cans, skews with moulded skewputts, unusually designed fleur-de-lys and harp cast-iron railings.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
Statement of Special Interest
Originally Hope Crescent. Designed by Brown in 1825 and begun as a speculation by the architect Patrick Wilson, originally to be a complete crescent but in the end only 7, 8, 17, and 18 were built. The EEC declared 'feuing plans of grounds of Leith Walk are now ready for inspection of builders etc. May be seen at Robert Burn (sic) architect, 82 Rose Street.'
Register of Sasines. EEC January 8 1825 Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH, (1988), p430.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.