Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 24241 73492
- Coordinates324241, 673492
Robert Brown, built 1825-35. Extensive Classical terrace, comprising unified façade of 2- and 3-storey attic and basement townhouses with main-door and common stair flats behind; with later attic additions, including additional ashlar attic storey to no. 27, box dormers to 26, 29. 5-bay corner blocks slightly advanced to N and S. Basement area to street including some vaulted cellars and retaining walls. Sandstone ashlar, droved at basement, channelled at ground floor. Entrance platts oversailing basement. Banded base course. Banded cill course at 1st and 2nd floors. Corniced eaves course. Stepped and balustraded parapet to corner blocks. Timber 6-panel doors with plain doorpieces to centre section and rectangular fanlight over. Round-arched doorways to corner blocks with narrow sidelights and plain fanlights. Round arched recessed windows at ground floor to corner blocks. Moulded architraved 1st floor windows; architraved and corniced to corner blocks (architraved, pedimented and bracketed to centre bay of corner blocks). Cast-iron balconies on scrolled brackets at 1st floor windows. Later pedimented dormers to Nos. 25 and 29.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2- and 3-storey with some advanced bays. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar cills, lintels and rybats; some ashlar quoin stones. Roughly regular fenestration with some tri-partite windows.
Predominantly 6- over 9-pane and 12-pane in timber sash and case windows with some plate glass in timber sash and case. Double pitch M-section roof, grey slates. Corniced ashlar wallhead and ridge stacks, with modern clay cans. Cast-iron railings on sandstone coping stone edging basement recess to street. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: interiors typified by plain classical detailing. Some cornicing, with mainly floreate designs. Fire surrounds with broken pediments. Some oval internal rooms with detailed plasterwork door surrounds and cornicing.
Statement of Special Interest
Manor Place is a well-proportioned and detailed classical terrace, forming an important component of the Walker Estate and the Western New Town. The townhouses are a well-ordered and largely well-preserved example of the urban planning of Robert Brown for the former Walker estate, built from 1825 onwards. The design is a variation of his designs for Walker Street and formed the template for the composition and design of the later phases of Manor Place by John Lessels (see separate listings).
Robert Brown was an experienced architect, and by the time he was involved with the deigns for the Walker Estate he had already designed several other urban schemes, including between 1810 and 1830 laying out streets in Portobello on land belonging to the Marques of Abercorn. His other notable works include Newington and St. Leonard's church (now The Queen's Hall) and the rearrangement of the interiors for Yester House on behalf of the Marques of Tweeddale. Robert Brown worked on a number of smaller projects in the New Town but the cohesive planning of the Walker estate is amongst one of the best examples of his work. He was especially competent in the design of corner pavilions and parades of shops, as can be seen in his work at North West Circus Place (see separate listing).
Notes and references from previous list description: Lord Cockburn lived at No.3 and then No. 2. Sir Wm Hamilton lived at No. 21 between 1829 and 39. William Chambers lived at No. 25 (formerly No. 13) in 1862.
(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1849-53); John Wood, Plan of the City of Edinburgh, including all the latest and intended improvements (1823); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 375; Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh, (1988) p. 216; West End Community Trust, Edinburgh's West End, A Short History (1984).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.