Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 23335 74166
- Coordinates323335, 674166
Frederick Pilkington, 1874. 2-storey and attic, roughly 5-bay Second Empire style villa (now a boarding house) with prominent full height bowed bay to centre and slightly advanced and pilastered terminal bays. Sandstone ashlar; channelled at ground floor pilasters. Moulded string course at ground floor; bracketed moulded cill course at 1st floor. Corniced eaves course with blind balustrade above; urns to balustrade piers. Moulded architraved surrounds at ground, 1st and attic floors. Bipartite windows at ground floor flanking arcaded round arched windows to bowed bay. Similar arrangement at 1st floor with segmental arched windows (apart from at bowed bay). Segmental arched bipartite sandstone ashlar dormers to attic flanking bowed bay; shaped dormer to centre of bowed bay with foliate panel to apex. Later single storey, flat roofed additions to S and W.
Porte-cochère to E elevation, forming advanced single storey block. Coursed squared rubble an channelled sandstone ashlar. Large round arched carriage doorways to N and S; crest above doorway to N with urn to left.
FORMER COACH HOUSE: 2-storey (with some 1st floor windows breaking wallhead) former coach house set to SW of main house. Coursed squared sandstone with some sandstone ashlar dressings and quoins. Band course at ground floor, banded cill course at 1st floor; corniced eaves course. Large triangular sandstone ashlar dormers to S elevation with shaped sides and moulded ashlar skews. Fielded panel and shaped finial to dormer apex.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Multi-pitch roof, grey slates; shouldered corniced ashlar wallhead stacks with modern clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: now in use as boarding accommodation for pupils at Stewart's Melville College. Richly decorative classical scheme still broadly retained throughout. Large hall with Corinthian pilasters and consoled cornice with all principal rooms off it through double leaf doors with large doorcases. Drawing room to N (now subdivided 2008) with Louis XV panelling and white marble chimneypiece. Dining room to W. Former porte-cochere now used as a room with later lowered ceiling. Large Imperial staircase with carved scrollwork balustrades ending in winged dragons. Large Venetian window with elaborate stained glass. Large coffered ceiling over stair with foliate console brackets and central cupola. Upper floors with later alterations to form dormitories.
Statement of Special Interest
A-group with Stewart's Melville College, Art Hall and entrance lodge (see separate listing). Dean Park House is an outstanding example of the later work of Frederick Pilkington, in Second Empire Style. The design exhibits a high degree of ornamentation to both the principal exterior façade and to the interior. The majority of this high quality decoration has remained unchanged despite later alterations and additions. The villa is on a particularly grand scale, and is amongst Pilkington's best work. The house was built for the geologist S L Jolly who had feued the ground from the College, although they later bought it back in 1962/3.
Frederick Pilkington worked predominantly in Edinburgh, Penicuik and in the Scottish Borders, although he did also complete works in both Ayrshire and Bute. After training in mathematics at the University of Edinburgh, his first architectural works were a series of highly geometric churches exhibited to the Royal Scottish Academy. By the early 1860s he had begun to build some churches, predominantly in Venetian or Roamesque styles. His interest in the monumental and in aspects of Romanesque detailing can also be seen in the residential work he completed during this period, both at Dean Park House and at Stoneyhill House in Peebleshire (see separate listing).
List description revised as part of resurvey (2009).
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4); J G Bartholomew, Plan of Edinburgh and Leith, from Survey Atlas of Scotland, (1912); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 389; www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 5/1/2009); RCAHMS, CSE/1940/66/1, plan and section of house and stables, 1874-1906.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.