This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Group Category Details: A - see notes
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 24363 73900
  • Coordinates324363, 673900


James Gillespie Graham, 1822, with later additions. 20-bay classical terrace stepped down to left, comprising predominantly 3-storey and basement, 10-bay central terrace, flanked by pair of 4-storey and basement 5-bay advanced terminal pavilions. Polished ashlar sandstone, with channelled rustication at principal floor. Band courses between basement and 1st floor, 1st and 2nd floors; corniced frieze at impost level at principal floor of No 1; cill course at 2nd floor; cornice at 2nd floor; cornice and blocking course at attic. Architraved windows at 1st and 2nd floor, corniced at 1st floor. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement; double platts to Nos 2 and 3, and 5 and 6.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION, LINKING TERRACE: 10-bay, with attic addition to Nos 5 and 6. Panelled timber doors with rectilinear rectangular fanlights, in 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 8th and 9th bays from right; panelled timber door with plate glass rectangular fanlight in 5th bay from left; 4-panel former 2-leaf timber door with glazed upper panels and plate glass rectangular fanlight in 3rd bay from left. Windows in remaining bays at principal floor, regular fenestration to floors above; architraved windows with cornices at 1st floor, architraved windows at 2nd floor. Flagged basement area.

SW ELEVATION, TERMINAL PAVILIONS: pair of 5-bay terminal pavilions; terminal pavilion to right (No 1) with Doric pilasters flanking bays at 1st and 2nd floors, panelled pilasters flanking bays at 3rd floor. 4-panel timber door with thermal window pattern semicircular fanlight, centred at principal floor, with balustraded stair; windows in round-arched recesses in remaining bays at principal floor. glazed timber door to outer left at basement, with architrave and pediment. Regular fenestration to floors above and basement. Terminal pavilion to left (Nos 7-9) comprising 4-panel timber doors, with glazed upper panels at No 8, plate glass rectangular fanlights, centred and at outer right, at principal floor. Windows in remaining bays at principal floor, regular fenestration to floors above; windows architraved with cornices at 1st floor, central window surmounted by pediment, windows architraved at 2nd floor. Flagged basement areas.

NW ELEVATION: 3-storey and basement, 3-bay projecting block centred at NW elevation, with architraved windows at 1st and 2nd floors, corniced at 1st floor, with pediment at centre window; consoled stone balcony spanning bays at 1st floor; surmounted by cornice and balustraded parapet.

RANDOLPH CRESCENT RETURN TO TERMINAL PAVILION: 4-bay, becoming 16, 17 Randolph Crescent (see separate listing).

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Anthemion and palmette window guards in bays at 1st floor of terminal pavilion to right. Grey slate roofs; 3 regularly spaced piended dormers to Nos 2-6. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Gablehead stack with central round-arched opening and ridge stacks; corniced, with circular cans.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.

RAILINGS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with spear-headed balusters and pineapple finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. The Moray Estate was designed for the 10th Earl of Moray (1771-1848). He inherited the 13 acre site from his father, after it was acquired from the Heriot Trust in 1782, and decided to feu the property for development in 1822. The complicated plan, with the crescent, oval and polygon of Randolph Crescent, Ainslie Place and Moray Place respectively, conjoins the New Town with the Second New Town. Building was completed in 1830-31.



Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), pp355-6; MacRae Heritors 38.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at