Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- see notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 24673 73645
- Coordinates324673, 673645
Circa 1835 with later alterations. 4-storey over basement hotel with bar at ground floor, forming corner block of Rutland Street and Rutland Place; giant Corinthian pilasters through 1st and 2nd floors, tetrastyle to NE looking down Princes Street, penastyle on Rutland Place and Rutland Street; Doric pilasters dividing bays at 3rd floor; linking astylar 3-bay curved block and further astylar 3-storey, 3-bay block to SW, adjoining former St Thomas' Church (see separate listing). Painted sandstone ashlar at ground floor; polished sandstone ashlar above. Base course; cornice at ground floor; cill course to 2nd floor; string course to architrave and dentilled cornice at 2nd floor; cornice and blocking course at 3rd floor with pilastered and corniced panelled tablets at wallhead of 2 bays to middle of penastyle section to NW. Architraves to upper floor windows of 3-bay block.
NE (RUTLAND PLACE) ELEVATION: modern bar frontage at ground floor with recessed entrance at penultimate bay to right of pentastyle block to NW, comprising 2-leaf partially glazed wooden door with fanlight; cornice to window at left of 3-bay block, boarded architraved window to centre, panelled timber door with bracketed cornice to bay to outer right; stone flight to modern timber door at basement from outer right; recessed entrance comprising 2-leaf partially glazed wooden door with fanlight to centre of tetrastyle block to NE; regular fenestration to remaining bays at ground floor, upper floors and to all floors of corner bow.
SE (RUTLAND STREET) ELEVATION: hexastyle, 3-storey, 5-bay block with attic to right, central 3 bays slightly advanced; slightly recessed 2-storey and attic, 3-bay block to left. 5-bay block to right: bar frontage built out at ground floor spanning 3 bays to outer right; timber panelled door with large square fanlight to left; bipartite window with consoled cornice to outer left; window in each bay at 1st and 2nd floors; windows at 3rd floor in 3 bays to outer right; paired corniced ashlar wallhead stacks with uniting panel over central bay; dormer window to left. 3-bay block to left: stone L-plan flight to tall consoled doorpiece at ground floor in bay to centre; modern panelled timber door; window (blind) at 1st floor above. Stone flight to basement door in bay to right; window (blind) at ground and 1st floors; box dormer above. Blind window at each floor in bay to left; box dormer above.
SW ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.
Variety of glazing patterns including 2- and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate platform roof; slate-hung dormers. Coped rendered wallhead stacks with cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fitted as modern bar at ground floor; unseen elsewhere.
RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARD: decorative iron spear-headed railings around basement access to NW elevation and to right of SE elevation; incorporated lamp standard (converted to electricity) comprising scrolled shafts supporting glass globe with drum well above; replacement railings around entrance to left of SE elevation.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. An imposing corner block sited to the west end of Princes Street and uniting Rutland Place with Rutland Street in an elegant bowed elevation. The south elevation of The Rutland Hotel remains as part of the north side of Rutland Street, the south side having been demolished to make way for the Caledonian Hotel and Station (see separate listing). This part of Rutland Street seems to feature in both Wood's 1823 map and the later PO Directory map. The complete street once formed 'a monumental entry [to Rutland Square] from the busy West End' (Gifford, McWilliam and Walker). Rutland Place, Street and Square were originally planned by Archibald Elliot in 1819 and built between 1830 and 1840. This block remains an important part of the scheme. The 1913 alterations to the ground floor by Bailey Murphy included the incorporation of a billiard room.
J Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1840 PO Directory map; City Archives (Dean of Guild) 1913; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.