Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- see notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 24636 73544
- Coordinates324636, 673544
John Tait, circa 1830-1840, with later alterations. 3-storey with attic over basement, 5-bay Corinthian pilastraded pavilion corner block, terminating SW end of palace-fronted Rutland Street and adjoining numbers 2, 3 and 4 Rutland Square to SE. Droved sandstone ashlar at basement; polished sandstone ashlar above; polished dressings. Band course between basement and ground floor; banded cill course at 1st floor; projecting cills to 2nd floor; string course below dentil cornice; corniced and pilastered 3-bay attic at centre above (single bay to Rutland Street elevation). Moulded architraves to openings at ground floor; ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
NW (RUTLAND STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay, grouped 1-3-1, with central block slightly advanced. Doorway in bay to centre at basement; window (blocked) in each bay to right; window in each bay to left. Consoled and corniced doorpiece at ground floor in bay to centre; timber panelled door with geometric fanlight above; window (including centred dormer) at each floor above; regular fenestration to all remaining bays, blocked in 2 bays to right at ground floor.
SW (RUTLAND SQUARE) ELEVATION: segmental-arched doorway with replacement timber door and vertical-astragal fanlight offset to right of centre at basement; window in bay to outer right and in three bays at left. Consoled and corniced doorpiece at ground floor in bay to centre; timber panelled door with 4-pane rectangular fanlight; window at each flanking bay and to all floors above, including 3-bay attic.
NE AND SE ELEVATIONS: obscured by adjoining buildings.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows; 2-pane timber sash and case windows at ground floor to Rutland Square elevation. Grey slate roof. Tall mutual coped rendered multi-flue stack to NE of Rutland Street elevation; attic pilasters at NW act as stacks; tall cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: converted as offices at ground floor and basement; unseen above.
RAILINGS: spear-headed cast-iron railings (plain up steps to doors) mounted on ashlar copes to each elevation.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. The approach to Rutland Square from the West End was planned by Archibald Elliot in 1819 and appears on Wood's 1823 map, although at that stage it had not been built. It was rebuilt, with revisions by John Tait, the architect of John Learmonth who bought the ground in 1825. Tait adopted the giant Corinthian pilaster motif at the entrance to the square.
J Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1840 PO Directory map; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379; Charles McKean, EDINBURGH, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (1992), p117.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.