Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- see notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 24590 73576
- Coordinates324590, 673576
John Tait, circa 1830-1840, with later alterations. 3-storey and later attic over basement, 7-bay symmetrical pair of tenement blocks (converted as offices); continuous tile-hung 5-bay attic storey above. Droved sandstone ashlar at basement; polished sandstone above with polished dressings. Band course between basement and ground floors and between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 2nd floor; cornice and blocking course; cornice to attic storey. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: timber door with fanlight in each bay flanking centre at basement; windows in remaining bays. Plain, heavy architraved and corniced doorpiece with timber panelled door and rectangular fanlight in each bay flanking; windows in remaining bays at ground floor and to upper floors above. Bipartite windows in bay at centre and at outer bays to attic storey, single windows in remaining bays.
SE ELEVATION: obscured by adjacent building.
NE AND NW ELEVATIONS: not seen 2000.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, with some 2- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Tall, coped and rendered stacks with tall cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.
RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS: spear-headed, cast-iron railings (plain up steps to doors) mounted on ashlar cope to street; cast-iron railing-mounted lamp standards with glass globe to No 30.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Rutland Square was planned and designed in 1819 by Archibald Elliot. The 1840 PO Directory map gives the impression that the terminations to the SW end of Rutland Street had not been completed by that date - certainly they do not seem to extend 'round the corner' into Rutland Square. Much more of the design, paradoxically, features on Wood's 1823 map (including this corner section), before the scheme had even been commenced. John Learmonth had bought the ground in 1825 and developed it from 1830. His architect, John Tait, built the square to Elliot's plans with this plain block finishing the NW range to the entrance to the Square from Rutland Street. The group, adjoining No 32 to the right, with its giant Corinthian pilasters, is echoed by 2-4 Rutland Square (listed separately).
J Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1853 OS MAP; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379; M Glendinning, R MacInnes and A MacKecknie, A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE, (1996), p556.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.