This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

22, 24, 26, 28 WALKER STREETReference: LB29883

Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 24238 73655
  • Coordinates324238, 673655


Robert Brown, 1827-45. 12-bay terrace comprising unified fa├žade of 2-storey basement and attic, 3-bay classical townhouses with main-door and common stair flats behind; later ashlar attic storey to nos. 24, 26 and 28. Basement area to street including some vaulted cellars and retaining walls. Sandstone ashlar, droved ashlar to basement, channelled ashlar to ground floor. Entrance platts oversailing basement. Band course at ground 1st and 2nd floors; string course to 1st floor between windows. Corniced eaves course; balustraded parapet to No. 22. Timber 4-panel doors in square headed doorpieces, rectangular fanlights. Rectangular dormers to No. 22. Cast-iron balconies on foliate brackets to 1st floor windows.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-storey. Regular coursed rubble with some long and short ashlar quoins. Advanced and recessed wall plane with some later additions. Ashlar rybats, lintels and sills to irregular fenestration, some with relieving arches.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows, some 12-pane and 6-over 9-pane in sash and case windows. 24. Double pitch M-section roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar gable end stacks with modern clay cans. Cast-iron railings above ashlar coping stone edging basement recess to street; spear headed finials. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

The townhouses are an important surviving component of the original design for the Walker Estate by Robert Brown. Walker Street forms a key part of a fine classical grouping, tying together key residential components of the plan, linking Melville Crescent (see separate listing) to Coates Crescent (see separate listing), in addition to linking two important public spaces marked with significant public works of art, with the Melville Memorial in Melville Crescent (see separate listing) and the Gladstone Memorial in Coates Crescent (see separate listing). The terrace demonstrates a well-detailed architectural treatment and is a good example of the late Georgian style in which the Walker Estate was designed.

Walker Street was at the centre of land owned by Patrick Walker, which was developed to a plan drawn up by Robert Brown in 1813. Walker Street is a main axis through the development, and takes its name from Sir Patrick.

Robert Brown was an experienced architect, and by the time he was involved with the deigns for the Walker Estate he had already designed several other urban schemes, including between 1810 and 1830 laying out streets in Portobello on land belonging to the Marques of Abercorn. His other notable works include Newington and St. Leonard's church (now The Queen's Hall) and the rearrangement of the interiors for Yester House on behalf of the Marques of Tweeddale. Robert Brown worked on a number of smaller projects in the New Town but the cohesive planning of the Walker estate is amongst one of the best examples of his work. He was especially competent in the design of corner pavilions and parades of shops, as can be seen in his work at North West Circus Place (see separate listing).

(List description revised in 2009 as part of re-survey.)



Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1849-53); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 381; Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh, (1988) p. 215.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at