Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 25/11/1965
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 25172 75114
- Coordinates325172, 675114
James Gillespie Graham, circa 1817. 3-storey and basement corner block of tenements; shops to ground floor of Nos 1, 2 and 4 Warriston Place. Droved sandstone ashlar with polished dressings, coursed rubble to side and rear. Cill courses at ground and 2nd floor; dividing band between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floor; eaves cornice (blocking course, raised at centre to Nos 2 and 3 Warriston Cresent).
SW (WARRISTON PLACE) ELEVATION: 8 bays; regularly fenestrated. Blind windows to 1st and 2nd floors of outer left bay. 2-leaf timber panelled door to No 4 (now shop, painted). Centre 3 bays slightly stepped forward. Shop front (now a restaurant) built out over basements at Nos 1 and 2. Doors in 3rd, 4th and 5th bays from left.
NW (WARRISTON CRESCENT) ELEVATION: 9 bays; regularly fenestrated; blind windows to 1st and 2nd floors of penultimate bay to right. Timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights (blocked at No3) in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th bays from left; arched stair platts over-sailing basement areas.
Mix of 12-pane glazing and plate glass in timber sash and case windows (replaced at No 1, casements 1st floor at No 2 Warriston Crescent, plate glass at No 4 Warriston Place). Grey slates. Stone skews. Coped ashlar stacks (some rebuilt) with circular cans.
RAILINGS: cast-iron handrails to steps and spear-headed railings to street at Nos 1-4 Warriston Crescent.
Statement of Special Interest
Alexander Henderson's Warriston estate, formerly the site of West Warriston House, was laid out for building by James Gillespie Graham in 1807.
Appears on Kirkwood's 1817 map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p581.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.