This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 25032 76752
  • Coordinates325032, 676752


Circa 1820. Fine austere classical Italianate 2-storey 3-bay house. Very high quality ashlar to front, coursed rubble to sides. Doric portico with entablature forming balcony above, between advanced pedimented bays. Base course.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: timber panelled door with lying-pane glazed fanlight above behind portico in centre bay, with 4 Roman Doric columns in antis; Doric entablature with blocking course forms balcony to 1st floor; access to balcony by segmental-arched glazed door, framed by wrought-iron trellis. Arched windows to ground floor of outer bays set in round-headed recessed panels; projecting cills to upper floor windows; pediments in gable framed in timber.

N AND S (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: blind windows to 1st floor. Later brick garage with corniced stone facade to N. French doors in single storey bay to right.

Plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Coped wallhead stacks (raised) with octagonal cans.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low stone-coped coursed rubble wall. Tall ashlar gatepiers with corniced and platformed caps.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the original feuing by the lawyer Alexander Scott of the lands of Trinity Mains farm. The intended feuing is shown on Kirkwood's 1817 map.



Appears on Wood's plan of 1826. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p614.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at