This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 25037 76785
  • Coordinates325037, 676785


Circa 1820. 2 storey 3-bay Tudor gothic house, with pinnacled porch and projecting windows; later alterations and extensions. Smooth pale ashlar to front, coursed rubble to sides and rear. Base course; crenellated parapets; gabletted pinnacles; gablet-coped skews. Tudor-arched lights with timber mullions to principal elevation.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance in Tudor-arched porch with crenellated parapet, flanked by square tourelles, rising to octagonal ball-finialled pinnacles; lancet windows with stained glass in returns of porch; timber panelled door with flanked by narrow rectangular windows; 2-light window in moulded surround to 1st floor, flanked by gabletted and finialled pinnacles, linked by crenellated parapet. Projecting 3-light windows at ground floor in side bays, flanked by diagonally-set gabletted and finialled pinnacles, linked by crenellated parapets; 2-light windows in moulded surrounds in wallhead gables above; gabled skews with ball finials on diagonally-set square section pedestals to gables. Gabletted and finialled square section pinnacles rising from ground clasp outer corners.

N AND S (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: windows in moulded surrounds, blind at 1st floor. Crow-stepped gables. Square section gabletted and finialled pinnacles at corners. Single storey pitched roofed building to N with timber Gothic windows. Single storey pitched-roofed stone building with stop-chamfered corners and pointed-arched opening adapted to garage to SE.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays, stepped left to right. 2-light windows with stone mullions to ground and 1st floor in left bay. Small window to ground, tall window with timber Gothic astragals at 1st floor in centre bay. Single windows to ground and 1st in right bay. Projecting wing to right much altered and extended.

INTERIORS: interesting plaster-work, chimney-pieces, stained glass etc.

Small-pane lying-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Diagonally-set square section slender coped ashlar stacks with octagonal cans.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: ashlar-coped rubble wall to front. 2 sets of octagonal-section gatepiers with conical caps.

Statement of Special Interest

Built in the 1st phase of feuing by the lawyer Alexander Scott of the lands of Trinity Mains farm. The intended feuing is shown on Kirkwood's map of 1817. A plan of 1838 (NMRS DC 6572&3) indicates that Gothic House belonged to Mr Scott himself.



Appears on Wood's 1826 plan of Leith. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p614. Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH pl 78. Photographs in NMRS.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at