Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 12/12/1974
- Supplementary Information Updated: 07/06/2012
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 26184 72794
- Coordinates326184, 672794
W E Trent of London with John Jerdan as executant architect, 1930.
Art Deco cinema comprising 2-storey, 5-bay, faience-clad, entrance front with deeply recessed doorway under projecting canopy and Art Deco tetrastyle Doric portico in antis at 1st floor; large, gabled brick auditorium to rear.
FRONT ELEVATION: 2 shallow steps to outer lobby recessed between outer bays; 4 pairs of late 20th century glazed doors; canopy overhanging pavement. Tetrastyle Doric portico in antis at first floor with Art Deco railings between columns, projecting modillioned cornice and stepped Art Deco pediment; single windows with Art Deco glazing to outer bays; 3 arched openings with Art Deco French Doors at rear of portico.
INTERIOR (seen 2012): some alterations (see Notes) but majority of original Art Deco decorative scheme still intact. Entrance Foyer: largely modernised, but some ceiling plasterwork survives above false ceiling; original tartan pattern terrazzo floor tiles survive under modern carpet. Inner Stalls Lounge: original decorative scheme largely complete with Ionic half-columns flanking doors, Art Deco over-door panels, radiator covers and plaster cornices. 1st Floor Tea Room: original decorative scheme largely complete with coffered ceiling, plasterwork and shallow arched recesses. Auditorium: divided into 4 sections but retaining most of original features including aedicules with one surviving statue by the sculptor Beattie, representing the Arts set between Ionic pilasters; decorative plasterwork; parts of the proscenium and two former private boxes. Plasterwork, Art Deco glazed doors and other original fixtures survive elsewhere, including light fittings.
Statement of Special Interest
Designed by the renowned cinema architect W E Trent and opened in 1930, as the New Victoria Cinema, this building is an outstanding example of an Art Deco cinema in Scotland and the United Kingdom. It is Scotland's best surviving example of a cinema from this period which includes a largely extant original interior decoration scheme. During the 1980s the original auditorium was divided up into several smaller auditoria, and a number of other alterations have been carried out (particularly in the entrance foyer). However, this work has been done in a largely reversible manner and most of the original decorative scheme has been retained, although some parts are currently concealed behind false ceilings and other additions.
The New Victoria Cinema was initially planned under the auspices of the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres (PCT), although by the time it opened the company had been taken over by the giant Gaumont British company. PCT had been founded in 1909 with the aim of providing a diverse chain of cinemas around Britain and were an unusually early example of a chain with national aspirations. PCT cinemas had luxuriously appointed interiors, central locations and ran continuous performances. In 1925 William Edward Trent was appointed as their chief architect, a position he retained under Gaumont.
Although W E Trent had designed very few cinemas prior to his appointment by PCT, he subsequently became one of the leading cinema designers in Britain, his works including a number of architecturally distinctive and lavishly appointed Gaumont Palace cinemas in England. Cinemas tended to be built by local architects and therefore examples in Scotland by leading English architects are very rare. The New Victoria cinema is the best (and only large-scale) example of a custom-built PCT/Gaumont cinema in Scotland and the best and most intact example of an acclaimed English architect's work in Scotland.
The interior and exterior treatment of the cinema is unusual, marking a transitional period in the work of W E Trent, the development of the PCT/Gaumont chain and the development of cinema design more generally. The external treatment is demonstrative of the emergence of Art Deco from the Neoclassical styling that had been popular in the 1920s. This is also evident internally, especially in the auditorium, which was designed to give the impression of an open-air Greek or Pompeian (contemporary accounts disagree) amphitheatre with a temple-style pediment framing the stage. This style is best described as semi-atmospheric.
Atmospheric cinemas were designed to give the audience the impression that they were sitting outside and were pioneered in America in the 1920s. The first examples in the UK were built from 1928, but they were not very common. The semi-atmospheric intention here, combined with Neoclassical and Art Deco detailing is highly unusual and was not repeated in any of the other PCT/Gaumont cinemas by Trent. The majority of other atmospheric cinemas built in Scotland have either lost their interiors or been completely demolished. Only one truly atmospheric cinema now survives in Scotland: the Picture House in Campbeltown (see separate listing) which has also been somewhat altered and was built on a much smaller scale than the New Victoria. No semi-atmospheric cinemas of comparable scale and style to the New Victoria survive in Britain.
List description revised and category changed from B to A, 2012.
Dean of Guild Drawings. Edinburgh Evening News, 18th August 1930 (details of opening). 'What Is The Ideal Cinema?' article (interview with architect) in Cinema News and Property Gazette, 3rd September 1930. CTA, Cinemas Thematic Survey - New Victoria / Odeon Cinema (2007).
www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/edinburgh/newvictoria [accessed 6.2.12, contains full photographic survey, historic photos and detailed description of surviving features and alterations]. Simpson and Brown, Odeon Cinema Conservation Plan (September 2007). Colliers International, Building Survey Report (October 2011)
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.