Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- see notes
- Date Added: 12/12/1974
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 24894 76811
- Coordinates324894, 676811
Circa 1825. Single storey 3-bay piend-roofed gothic cottage. Polished ashlar to front, coursed rubble to sides and rear. Base course, overhanging eaves. Chamfered surrounds to windows and door.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: piend-roofed advanced bay, with doorway flanked by 2 windows set back in veranda formed by flanking stone piers with arch-headed recessed panels, linked by delicate cast iron 2-arched grille; cast-iron tracery at eaves; timber panelled door with decorative fanlight above in chamfered surround, flanked by 2 bipartite gothic windows. Mirrored bays to left and right have stone piers with arch-headed recessed panels to outer sides and hoodmoulded bipartite gothic windows.
Lying-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Diagonally set decorative square-section corniced stacks on ridges,with octagonal cans.
Statement of Special Interest
Elegantly detailed early example of a gothic cottage ornee. A group comprises 3 gothic cottages, Nos 22, 23 and 24 Russell Place. The cottages form part of the early 19th century projected development of the lands of Trinity Mains by the lawyer Alexander Scott, shown on Wood's 1826 plan of Leith.
Appears on Wood's 1826 map of Leith. Gifford, MacWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p614.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.