Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- See notes
- Date Added: 28/11/1989
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 23880 77683
- Coordinates323880, 677683
James Walker and A Burgess of London, 1835-45 with later additions, to initial designs by Robert Stevenson. 1700ft pier. Main section: coursed rockfaced sandstone sides stepped slightly out towards base and tooled sandstone kerb blocks. Fin-shaped concrete wharf (on concrete posts) added to N by L Mouchel and Partners with A Hannay Thompson, General Superintendent Engineer, 1936. 2 timber wharves to E side (the southernmost one adjacent to stone-built warehouse), both set within recesses in pier, the sides of which are of stugged ashlar, stepped out towards base. Corrugated metal facing to W side of pier. 4 slipways to E side: that to N with coursed stugged sandstone sides and stone setts to surface; slipway to S has sides and kerb blocks of stugged ashlar droved at edges and concreted slipway; timber wharf to W; metal crane on concrete base directly to N: 2 slipways added to SE angle of pier by Sir Thomas Bouch in 1846-48; space in between curved in order to accommodate bows/sterns of railway ferries; both of stugged ashlar droved at edges; surface of stone setts and stone flags to larger slipway; mainly uneven stone flags to smaller slipway; curved wall in between has projecting lip at ground level.
Some stone setts to main section of pier. Railway tracks in parts. Various structures including stone built warehouse and leading light (see separate list descriptions). Large mid 20th century brick and corrugated iron warehouse and late 20th century circular brick pilot station towards tip of pier. Parts remain (some incorporated into later buildings) of original stugged ashlar dividing wall running N/S; also coursed snecked sandstone railway retaining wall opposite.
LAMP STANDARDS: 5 cast iron gas lamp standards remain, variously intact and mostly on later stone bases; with 'Granton Pier' in embossed letters; some with 'Alloa Foundry 18–' and some 'Shotts'.
Statement of Special Interest
A group with stone built warehouse, 1-4 Granton Square and former Granton Hotel (all part of the original planned waterside developments of the Duke of Buccleuch of the 1830's. Mid pier is significant as the first 'Ro-Ro' railway ferry terminus; it was from here that loaded railway trucks were directly transferred into large steamers (saving the need for them to be unloaded and loaded again); this was managed by means of moveable stages and powerful stationary engines, designed by Thomas Bouch. Appearance of pier has been altered by reclamation of foreshore between here and western breakwater pier circa 1970. See also leading light.
PLANS and SECTIONS of Granton Harbour, 1835-45 (RHP 9474-9498 and RHP 2811) and PLANS and SECTIONS of extensions to Mid Pier, 1936-37 (RHP31901-04) at Scottish Record Office, West Register House; appears on First Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map 6" to 1 mile, surveyed 1852, published 1855, Edinburgh Sheet 2; Francis H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1883) p213; GRANTON HARBOUR HANDBOOK published by Ed J Burrow & Co with foreword by the Duke of Buccleuch (post-1955); John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker EDINBURGH in
'The Buildings of Scotland' series (first published 1984, this edition 1991) p602.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.