William Hardie Kininmonth, 1934. International Modern stryle house sited on sloping site, main house comprising 2 2-storey rectangular blocks and single storey apsidal block; Grange linked to house by concrete per gola; single storey extension to N (1953) and detached single storey studio (1961). Harled brick. Exposed concrete lintel courses and coping; windows flush with wall surface.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: large 13-light bow window at principal floor to outer left, incorporating 2 pairs of French windows in terminal lights; parapet above to paved roof-garden; concrete canopy over 4-pane strip window pierced and supported by circular chimney stack to rear of roof garden; 2 sets of French windows to roofgarden. 5-pane strip window at principal floor to block to outer right; 3-panel window above.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tripartite small-pane glazed porch door at centre; carved and initialled datestone above; advanced 2-storey block to outer left; 3-panel window at ground floor; bipartite window at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: triangular projecting stair window; 1953 single storey extension to outer left with similar long panel windows.
E ELEVATION: bipartite windows at ground floor; bipartite window at 1st floor; 1953 extrension to outer right.
STUDIO: 1961; single storey flat-roofed harled rectangular-plan building to NW of main house; tripartite window to S.
Timber framed fixed and casement windows; long plate glass panel or strip window glazing pattern; lying pane stair window. Flat roofs (originally asphalted); segmental concrete coping; harled circular stack with single can to W; internal drainage; airbricks.
INTERIOR: partially open-plan at ground floor; original ply-wood floor tiles; fireplace; built-in cupboards.
BOUNDARY WALLS: high coped rubble boundary walls to The Lane, terminating in harled brick wall with pedestrian gateway to house; timber lattice gate in same style as porch door. Concrete pergola connecting house to gateway. Single storey flat-roofed garage.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.