This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 25486 71110
  • Coordinates325486, 671110


John Kinross of Kinross and Tarbolton, 1898. 2-storey and basement, 3-bay, Scottish 17th century villa, sited on steeply falling ground, with 1st floor breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads and with single storey and part basement steeply pitched service block to E. Rake-jointed rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings. Roll-moulded surrounds to windows, stop-chamfered at cills; generously proportioned at ground and S elevation. Principal gables crowstepped with beak skewputts.

N ELEVATION: 3 2-storey bays with advanced bay of single storey, steeply pitched, gabled service wing to outer left. Roll-moulded surround to corniced door at centre, teak door, and carved armorial panel above (blank centrepiece); window in bay to right at ground and to both bays at 1st floor. Gabled bay to outer right with window to each floor. Trapezoid pediment to 1st floor window chamfered angle to right with narrow windows to ground and 1st floors and corbelled parapet with blank panel above. Service bay to outer left ashlar mullioned bipartite window and blank under eaves.

S ELEVATION: 3-bay. Full-height canted bay to left, corbelled to square in gablehead at 1st floor; French windows to basement with large window of principal floor above bearing scroll-flanked panel over cornice and encroaching upon 1st floor window with carved fleuron above; windows to splayed returns at principal floor. 2 stair windows at centre, upper window larger. Windows of bay to outer right in advanced gabled panel; principal floor window with scroll-flanked panel detailed as in bay to outer left and fleuron above at 1st floor window as above.

W ELEVATION: tall lop-sided gabled bay to outer left with ogee panel carved at chimney gablehead. 3 windows to basement at centre and 2 1st floor windows. Outer bay to right with slightly advanced and shouldered chimneybreast with wall-mounted sundial to outer angle above basement.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay, M-gabled and bridged at centre. Gable of service block advanced to outer right with door flanked by windows and window in gablehead; door and window on return to S; oculus to main house above. Window to each floor in bay to centre; moulded bridging at wallhead. Window at 1st floor in bay to outer left in corbelled panel. Small-pane and multi-pane glazing patterns in generous sash and case windows. Westmoreland slates; ashlar ridge tiles. Moulded coping to gablehead and wallhead stacks.

INTERIOR: fine original decoration retained, joinery work by Scott Morton & Co. cabinetmaker; decorative plasterwork cornices and ceiling details; built-in cupboards and display cabinets; well-crafted oak dressers to pantry.

BOUNDARY WALLS STEPS GATES GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: all original. Saddleback ashlar coping to coursed sandstone rubble boundary walls, 16" in diameter; panelled dies with moulded coping; ashlar steps to side elevations. Panelled ashlar corniced piers to railings to entrance elevation; decorative wrought-iron railings by Thomas Hadden.

Statement of Special Interest

See 33 Mortonhall Road below. A-group with 33 and 35 Mortonhall Road and 14 Oswald Road.



Dean of Guild 13/5/1897, 12/8/1897, 31/3/1898, 2/6/1898; D C Mays J Kinross: His Life and Woek University of St Andrews dissertation (1988).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at