Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Burgh: Elgin
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 21944 62757
- Coordinates321944, 862757
Late 15th century, restored 1896; John Kinross, architect.
Oblong and aisless, orientated E/W. Large Y-tracery windows
to end gables; narrower to flanks; 3 small ogee-headed
windows high at E end of S wall. All random rubble; ashlar
dressings; moulded eaves course with cast-iron fretted
frieze; Caithness slate roof.
INTERIOR: All interior fittings including barrel vaulted
wooden ceiling, large rood screen, and carved oak choir
stalls of 1896. 18th century grave slabs of the King family
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Greyfriars founded
1479 on site of previous Franciscan convent. Owned by
General Stewart King of Lesmurdie during 19th century; sold
to Sisters of Mercy 1891; restored by Marquess of Bute;
completed by his son, Lord Colum Crichton Stuart. Church
abuts onto Greyfriars Street.
Former Item 1 (1981 Revised List)..
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT (1914), p.136,
142-44. National Monuments Record of Scotland. Further
information courtesy The Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.