Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Burgh: Elgin
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 21581 62848
- Coordinates321581, 862848
Archibald Simpson, 1825-28. Greek Revival; rectangular plan church with tower at E end. Doric hexastyle portico to W with deep entablature ornamented with Empire wreath ornamentation in frieze pediment above; 3 doorways, the centre tall and having double leafed doors decorated with Greek key pattern. 6-bay flanks; plain windows flush to wall each with single Greek key patterned transom.
Projecting bay at E supports single stage tower surmounted by columned drum modelled on Choragic Monument of Lysicrates. Tall corniced and louvred openings and clock to each tower face; clasping angle pilasters.
INTERIOR: panelled gallery to 3 sides carried by simple wooden pillars with Greek key-patterned parapet. Giant pilasters to E wall; plain wooden pews. Circular panelled pulpit borne on single reeded Roman Doric column; domed sounding board (circular) with deep cornice and carved finial supported by pair reeded columns with Corinthian capitals; approached by flight of stairs with cast-iron balustrade.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Opened 28 Oct 1828. Pulpit installed in St Giles 1980 from Newington Parish Church, Edinburgh (now Queen's Hall). Former Item 28 (1981 Revised List).
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT, (1914), p.199-207.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiii, p.9-10.
EDINBURGH EVENING COURANT, Aug 4, 1825 and May 20, 1826 (for advertisements for competition and tenders).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.