Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Burgh: Elgin
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 21902 62910
- Coordinates321902, 862910
Thomas Mackenzie, 1842. Additions, 1896. Alterations and
additions, A Marshall Mackenzie and Son, 1920.
Italianate; all polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor.
Museum rising through 2 storeys, 3 stage square tower to
E with shallow pyramidal roof and 3 round chimneys linked by
coping. Square central porch in front (S) gable;
3 tall round-headed windows above moulded cill course with
band course at springing continuing across tower. Single
storey wing to right; lunette clerestory N and S.
Tower, S elevation; 1st floor window with blind
balustrade, pilaster strips and bracketted cornice;
lunette at base of 3rd stage with 3 tall round-headed
windows above (2 outer blind); E elevation as S, but 1st
floor window and lunette blind.
INTERIOR: original main hall with gallery on 3 sides
approached by T-plan staircase near original colour
scheme restored 1979.
Additional hall to N (1896), rubble with top light.
Museum Hall (dated 1921); single storey; ashlar; some
channelled pilasters; corniced entrance on S elevation.
Statement of Special Interest
Corner site with High Street and North College Street.
Property of The Moray Society, formerly The Elgin and
Morayshire Literary and Scientific Associated founded 1836.
Tower contained custodian's quarters, now gutted.
Former Item 29 (1981 Revised List).
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT, p20-21. INVERNESS
COURIER Feb 9, 1842. Advertisement for tenders. Further
information by courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.