This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 20/08/1981


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Burgh: Elgin

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 21162 62809
  • Coordinates321162, 862809


William Burn, architect, Edinburgh, 1839. 80 feet high

Roman Doric column with later (1854-5) statue of Duke of

Gordon in robes of Chancellor of Marischall College

Aberdeen. Sculptor, Thomas Goodwillie; architect

(1854-5), Mackenzie and Mathews, Elgin. Stepped plinth;

cast-iron spearhead railings with iron stiffeners enclose


Statement of Special Interest

Plaque records that monument was erected in memory of

George, 5th (and last) Duke of Gordon by public subscription.

Following a bequest by Alexander Craig of Craigton

and members of the Morayshire Farmers CLub, the statue

was added in 1855, designed by Handyside Ritchie and carved

by Thomas Goodwillie of Elgin. The Duke is portrayed wearing

the robes of Chancellor of Marischall College, Aberdeen.

William Burn gave his architectural services free of


Former Item 90 (1981 Revised List).



H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT (1914), p.173-4.

J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.142.

ELGIN COURANT, 15 February 1839 and 3 August 1855.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at