Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Burgh: Elgin
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 22185 63051
- Coordinates322185, 863051
13th century; Gothic. Plan consists of presbytery,
chancel with aisles; nave and double aisles; 2 west
towers. Large pointed window (formerly) traceried
between towers at W, and portal. Main arcade and
clerestory (no triforium). Rib vaulted chancel aisle.
15th century chapter house to NE octagonal with rib
vaulted roof supported by central pier connected to
chancel by vestibule.
Rubble graveyard wall with rounded coping dating from 1807.
Statement of Special Interest
Founded in 1224 as seat of Bishopric of Moray and
dedicated to Holy Trinity. Lead roof removed 1567; central
tower fell 1711 ruining nave and transepts.
Former Item 169 (1981 Revised List).
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
MacGibbon and Ross THE ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF
SCOTLAND, ii, p.121-45. H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND
PRESENT (1914), p.38-111. R G Cant HISTORIC ELGIN AND ITS
CATHEDRAL (1974), p.20-32.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.