Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Burgh: Elgin
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 22114 63095
- Coordinates322114, 863095
16th century; rectangular 3-storey block, stair tower to
S gable with small wheel stair, corbelled out upper stage
N elevation. Later ruinous wing to SW. Rubble;
re-roofed later 19th century. Gabletted crowsteps; one
skewputt with arms of Patrick Hepburn dated 1557;
another with double faced mask. Small windows; some
blocked. Various coats of arms.
Statement of Special Interest
More correctly it is likely that this was the Precentor's
Manse, where the Bishop might have lodged when visiting
the Cathedral from Spynie Palace.
SW wing appears added by Earl of Dunfermline late 17th
century; house renamed Dunfermline House. Unexecuted scheme
for restoration by R Rowand Anderson, 1892; plans
and drawings with Chief Executive, Moray District and
Former Item 170 (1981 Revised List).
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF
SCOTLAND, ii, p.58-60. R G Cant and I G Lindsay, OLD ELGIN
(1945, 1954 ed), p.12-13.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.