Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Burgh: Elgin
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 22221 62756
- Coordinates322221, 862756
Archibald Simpson, 1830-33. Greek Revival. Large
2-storey H-plan main range with school to S. Polished
ashlar to front (N) facade, finely tooled ashlar to flanks,
polished ashlar dressings. 14-bay main elevation, the
outer 3 bays being advanced and pedimented. Centre
Ionic portico, distyle in antis with frieze, cornice, and
block pediment supporting sculptured figures. Set back
behind pediment circular domed cupola on square plinth,
with 8 Corinthian pilasters between louvred openings.
West elevation: 7 bays, and 2nd and 6th bays being
advanced with hexastyle Roman Doric portico between.
Lying-pane glazing. Corniced stacks; shallow piended
INTERIOR: domed and pilastered entrance hall with coffered
ceiling; plain staircase.
Pair single monolith panelled gatepiers; square copes
with egg and dart frieze. Cast-iron railings.
Coursed rubble garden walls with dressed copes.
Statement of Special Interest
Founded by Lieutenant General Anderson (1746-1824)
as school for young and home for old. Sculpture over
portico depicts Gen Anderson giving food to old and learning
Inscription above portico reads "Elgin Institution for
Support of Old Age and Education of Youth".
For School, now East End School, see Institution Road.
Former Item 22 (1981 Revised List).
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT (1914) p.125-126.
INVERNESS JOURNAL, Jan 15, 1830. Further information by
courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.