Mansion round courtyard with outer court to N., and S.
terraced garden. Originally John Smith 1820 Neo-Greek
2-storey basement and attic square block with Greek-doric
porch and bow, both features now removed. Incorporated at
S.E. corner of large 2-storey and basement Italianate
mansion, William Smith 1859 (south side of present court),
2-storey coursed granite with bay windows and top parapet,
balustraded at bays, handsome 4-storey tower. Porte-cochere
at E. end removed, alterations and additions to E end
of Smith house, library, new courtyard entrance tower
containing staircase, and chapel added to form court George
Edmund Street 1877, French-Italian Romanesque. New dining
room, conservatory, and other additions, new windows to
court in Smith building G. Bennet Mitchell 1900.
Conservatory removed, extensive additions comprising
boilerhouse wing, gates and lodges N.W. and N.E. terraces
loggia gazebo etc. interior alterations and additions Sir
Aston Webb 1913-20. Bennet Mitchell's dining room removed,
internal alterations and Webb's diagonal screen wall to
court removed, Dunecht estate office 1950s.
Interior:- Smith staircase large square toplit and round-arched,
cove and panels painted in Raphaelesque manner by Italian
artists c. 1860 with additions 1900; Long gallery (W.
Smith) 100' x 16' compartmented ceiling, centre
Chimneypiece at W. end marble, G.E. Street; Entrance tower
and staircase (Street) 20' dia. open centre well with 47
colonnettes, vaulted at top. Library and drawing room have
English Jacobean woodwork (with marquetry panels) and
plasterwork installed c. 1920, Billiard Room English 15th
century screen with gallery, chimneypiece and panelling.
Library (G.E. Street, now ballroom) 120' x 27' x 40, arched
ceiling, iron galleries, reading room off, rich scheme of
decoration, Lunette by James Pryde. Chapel (Street)
100' x 34' x 50' with vaulted apse, waggon roof and N.E.
chapel. Stalls (Street 1877) inlaid walnut from Florence,
additional woodwork Dr. Kelly, 16th century panelling in N.E.
Statement of Special Interest
The 1859 and 1877-81 additions and alterations were
carried out for the 25th Earl of Crawford and Balcarres
(1812-80) and continued by his son the 26th earl.
Work was suspended in 1881 after the theft of the body of
the 25th earl and the estate advertised for sale in 1886,
but was not sold;. at that date the library was still not
occupied, the long gallery chimneypiece not assembled and
the chapel floor incomplete. In 1900 it was sold to A.C.
Pirie of Craibstone who employed G. Bennet Mitchell (then
of the architectural department of Davidson and Garden
Advocates) to design addition to the house and an
extensive scheme of estate, improvement comprising new
cottages at Echt and Dunecht (then Waterton). In 1907 it
was let to Lord Cowdray who purchased the estate outright
in 1912 commissioning Sir Aston Webb to make extensive
additions in 1913-20. Further alterations were made
internally by Dr. Kelly c. 1924-32.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.