Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 30/03/1983
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Burgh: Forres
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 3732 58929
- Coordinates303732, 858929
William Robertson, 1838-9. Scottish Baronial. Finely stugged
ashlar, rubble to Tolbooth Street; tooled ashlar dressings.
3-storey courthouse, with imposing 3-stage tower and belfry
much resembling its predecessor. Entrance on W face of tower
with round-arched head in deeply splayed reveals. String
course rising over door, and window on N elevation. Round-
arched windows above with string course raised as square
hoodmould over; corbelled stepped parapet with bartizans;
smaller clock stage with similarly detailed parapet bartizans
with conical caps. Tall belfry stage with round-arched
openings, cable moulded cornice, tall bell-cast roof with
crowning cupola; weather vane with gilded cock.
Courthouse and jail to E and S; 3 storeys, 2 bays(W) to High
Street, 9 bays(E) to Tolbooth Street. Square-headed windows
to High Street with corbelled, squared bartizans to outer
bay. Courtroom to S with 2 round-head windows at 1st floor E
and W; 3 smaller round-headed windows and pend to ground
floor. Tolbooth Street; multi-pane glazing. 4 bays to jail,
facing E to Tolbooth Street.
INTERIOR: vaulted rooms in tower; courtroom with coffered
ceiling stained glass windows; some late 19th century
courtroom fittings survive.
Statement of Special Interest
Built on site of previous Tolbooth. Juts into High Street;
corner site with Tolbooth Street. Cells remain within.
Building now used as Moray District Record Office.
Stained glass window depicts St Laurence, patron saint of
Forres; gifted by Mr William Smith of Colithie, Huntly, a
native of Forres. Provost's Chair, 1893. Pair of Provost's
lamps in front of main entrance.
Unfortunate insertion of ventilation grills in some upper
window cills (circa 1980).
Former Item 77 (1983 Revised List)
Howard Colvin, BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS,
1600-1840 (1978), p.699. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xii,
p.164. J and W Watson MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED, (1868), p.256-7.
Robert Douglas, ANNALS OF THE ROYAL BURGH OF FORRES (1934),
pp.285, 296. Original plans with Moray District Record
Office, Forres. Also illustrations of previous Tolbooth.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.