1830-40, Patrick Wilson, Edinburgh, architect. Simple church substantially altered and encased in Italianate style, and
re-fitted internally, by Thomas Mackenzie, Elgin, 1844.
Cruciform plan, orientated N/S. Ashlar frontage, dressings
and belfry; coursed rubble and harled flanks.
Ashlar gable to street with wheel window with flanking blind
panels; outer giant pilasters flanking full width pediment
supported by pilasters. 3-bay arcaded portico across the full
width of gable; 4 stage campanile to right (E) with open
balustraded arcades to 3rd and 4th stages. Shallow piended
roof with corbelled eaves course and weathervane of St John's
cross surmounted by golden cock. Campanile linked to E
transept by 5-bay open arcade similar to portico. Square
windows set high in wall to aisle with simple circle
sectioned tracery; semi-circular apse with triple light
stained glass window. Round-headed paired lights to E and W
gables. Deep eaves; slate roof.
INTERIOR: simple interior with plain walls and flat
coffered ceiling; mosaic floor. Oak seating and pulpit; brass
altar rail and eagle lectern. Circular roof light at
crossing. Latticed cast-iron balustrade to narrow gallery at
S end of church.
Mural paintings in apse, including one depicting the Last
Supper, by William Hole (1907). Further painting by same
artist at font of Christ blessing little children (1911).
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
First Rector of Forres visited Florence during 1830's and
is said to have sketched church there on which to base design
of St John's. Stained glass by Barnett of Newcastle in
apse. 3 windows in memory of Edward Dunbar of Seapark,
Kinloss (d. 1858 aged 3). Sir Alexander Gordon-Cumming (d.
1868) and John Grant of Moy (d. 1867).
Former Item 154 (1983 Revised List)
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.