Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 57667 66229
- Coordinates257667, 666229
Charles Wilson, architect, 1856, college and adjacent church (to Lynedoch street) latter gutted by fire in 1903 and incorporated into college as library in 1909. Refurbished interior by D Thomson and Colin Menzies 1909. 2-storey building with tall Lombardic towers. Polished ashlar, stugged at basement, channelled at ground at door to former church and ground floor pilasters. Continuous bands of Vitruvian scrolls at 1st floor forms base for continuous plinth below upper storey windows. Heavy cornice with dentil moulding and frieze with wreaths; deep plain parapet.
Elevation to Lynedoch Place; 5-bay with advanced channelled centre bay with monumental doorpiece, rising above latter to square campanile. Arched doorpiece with blind fanlight supported on bracketted reveals and surmounted by corbelled balcony with solid and balustraded parapet. All windows round arched with channelled architraves at ground; 1st floor windows in rectangular recess with double pilasters and elaborately carved spandrels. Tower with small corbelled balconies at 2nd floor level (all elevations) to tall arched pilastered window. Rising above are groups of 3 elongated arched openings deeply recessed and moulded. Upper cornice boldly corbelled out to parapet with cast-iron balcony and central bell-house with bracketted cornice.
Elevation to Lynedoch Street; 5 western bays detailed as above. 5-bay advanced pavilion to eastern end (former church). Central 3-bays advanced; paired engaged Corinthian columns at former gallery level support pediment. Ground floor windows round-arched; at centre bay bipartite with columnar mullion. Flanking pediment bays containing arched doorpieces rise to square towers, smaller though similar in detail to main tower. Top corbel table surmounted by stone parapet of open balustrade linking piers at angles, with obelisk pinnacles over.
Main elevations surrounded by cast-iron railings with square ashlar piers. The east pavilion has 2 flights of stone steps rising symmetrically to raised platt with parapet and piers supporting decorative cast-iron lamp brackets (McFarlane & Co). Retaining wall of steps bull-faced with ashlar coping. Rear elevation to Woodside Terrace Lane in 3 irregular main sections; all ashlar polished, droved or rusticated.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.
Plans in NMRS dated September 1856.
Gomme and Walker 1968, pp92-9, 249.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.