John Baird I, architect; 1842-1847. No 6 built first as
freestanding mansion in 1842. Remainder of Terrace
added in 1847. Symmetrically arranged classical terrace;
shallow advanced centre and terminal pavilions; East
terminal pavilion (1 Claremont Terrace and 1 Claremont
Place) aligned with Woodside Terrace. 3-storeys, attic
and basement; 3 bays per house. Polished ashlar, No. 1
painted, remainder stonecleaned; mostly with painted
architraves. Steps oversailing basement to Ionic
porches, paired at terminal pavilions. All windows
architraved; corniced at 1st floor. Sash windows, plate-
glass or 4-pane glazing. No 6, 5-bay central pavilions;
paired Ionic columns to porch; windows in ramped
architraves, corniced at ground, with consoled corniced
at 1st floor. Ground floor; circa 1900 decorative
opening casement inserted into lower sash, with wrought-
iron grille and coloured glass. Continuous band course
at 1st floor cills. Eaves course cornice (mutule cornice
at No. 6) balustraded parapet. Axial stacks, slate
roofs. Good cast-iron railings to steps and basement.
Intricate "hear and honeysuckle" cast-iron balconies
over porches: No. 6 with full width balcony on cast-iron
brackets. Flanks to Claremont Street and Clifton Street,
5 bays; similarly detailed. West flank has wide
continuous balcony supported on apparently original
slender iron columns.
No. 11; door replaced by canted window.
No. 12; modern 2-storey addition to rear.
Rear elevation: regular full-height projecting bays.
Interiors: Corinthian column/pilaster screens, coloured
marble columns to hall. Good cornice and ceiling
plasterwork, coffered ceilings at ground floor main
rooms. Good cast-iron balusters to stairs.
Claremont Terrace Lane/Claremont Place: pair of
hexagonal ashlar gatepiers to Claremont Terrace Lane
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.