Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 20/05/1986
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 57464 66972
- Coordinates257464, 666972
Bell and Miller, engineers; Morrison and Mason, contractors; Sir W Arrol, iron and steel work. Begun April 1890, opened September 1891. 4-span depressed arch cast-iron road bridge; 2 main arches spanning
River Kelvin, 2 smaller outer arches over banks; eastern most spans South Woodside Road to which it is linked by a scale and platt stair. Abutments, piers and approach walls of red and grey granite; ribs to spans and parapets of cast-iron. Square of octagonal engaged pillars with foliate capitals support crenellated parapet enclosing top of pier. Main span 9 ribs; outermost with nailhead detail to archring arris, traceried spandrels and City of Glasgow arms; 6 ribs to subsidiary arches. Cast-iron traceried parapet linking crenellated piers; latter with polished red granite plaque commemorating official opening of the bridge.
Stairway to South Woodside Road - stone scale and platt stair with traceried parapet supported on cast-iron columns.
Statement of Special Interest
Built on the site of a previous bridge (1840) fragments of the piers of the old structure survive. Total cost of new bridge £38,578. Granite from Kemnay and Corennie.
shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (circa 1892). John R Hume, Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow (1974) p160. Williamson, Riches and Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow (1990), p629. RCAHMS and Jelle Muylle, Glasgow Corporation Water Works Related Structures, Phase II: Milngavie / Craigmaddie reservoirs and Glasgow City Centre Supply Distribution (survey report, not published, 2008).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.