George Gilbert Scott, architect, 1871-8. Spire by John Oldrid Scott, completed 1893. Cruciform aisled church with early English detailing, simple tracery. Stugged and snecked ashlar wallings, polished freestone ashlar margins. 5-bay nave with angle buttressed aisles; round clerestory windows linked by blind arcade. West front: 3 tall lancets above pointed-arch portal surmounted by 3 gablets; recessed paired cusp-head doors. 5 plate tracery aisle windows. Corbel course at eaves; slate roofs. Tower in SE angle; 3 main stages with angle buttresses. Lowest stage plain with lancet windows; 2nd stage with lancets in groups of 3. 3rd stage with plate tracery louvered openings; deep band of ornamental diaper work in spandrels. Above this, corbel table with parapet and bartizans at angles. Above rises facetted spire; lowest part with slender window lucarnes at cardinal points. At angles, lucarnes with sculptured figures of saints. Spire tapers to a point under ball finial and metal cross. Interior: 5-arch arcade on piers/clustered columns separate nave from aisles. Open timber roof; trusses rest on engaged stone columns. Crossing with fan-vaulted roof. Octagonal ashlar pulpit supported on polished granite colonnettes; font on marble base, also with octagonal ashlar basin on polished granite colonnettes; elaborate carved oak canopy over font. Organ in S transept; wrought-iron chancel screen. Carved oak reredos by R Lorimer with painted panels by Phoebe Traquair, circa 1920-21. Stained glass, circa 1880 John Hardman and Co London and Birmingham.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.