John Honeyman, architect, 1863. Sculptor; John Mossman. T-plan early English apsidal church with tower and spire at SE. Coursed rubble with polished ashlar margins; slate roofs. West front: angle buttresses rising to columned pinnacles. Elaborate pointed arch porch with dog-tooth moulding: deeply recessed paired doors under moulded pointed arch supported on nook shafts of polished granite, with stiff leaf ashlar capitals. Porch flanked by deep buttresses with blind arcading continuing across to gabletted angle buttresses, gablet with roundel above arcading between buttresses. Stepped triple lancet above. Low pseudo-aisles, also butressed and with columned pinnacles. Transepts with 3 lancet windows over blind arcade. Tower in 3 stages: 1st stage buttressed with tripartite window over door; 2nd with 2-light louvered openings. 3rd stage more elaborate: plate tracery windows with gables, rising into spire; octagonal piers rise to pinnacles at angles. Tall very slender spire with niches and band of diaper work midway. Church surrounded by low ashlar wall with decorative cast-iron railings; intermediate gabled ashlar piers and gatepiers. Interior: aisled corridors open through doors into the main body of the church. Gallery on 3 sides with panelled front supported on wooden brackets, and at transepts on cast-iron clustered columns. Ribbed tunnel-vaulted ceiling supported on stone corbels. Clustered shafts of red marble with carved capitals and corbels support ribs of vaulted apse ceiling. Altar: marble, coloured marble inlay and colonnette shafts. Oak panelled apse with War Memorial triptych by Evelyn Beale 1923; 3 apse windows by Ward and Hughes of London 1865. Transept windows by Alfred Webster 1913 and Gordon Webster 1950-60. Memorial brass plaque to Alfred Webster in S transept. Medallion portrait to Rev John Eadie by Mossman 1879, in vestibule. Hanging brass lamps circa 1920.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.