Charles Wilson, architect: designed 1855-6 built 1872-3.
2 ranges of astylar terraces stepped down slope. 3 bays
per house; shallow advanced terminal pavilions. 3
storeys, attics and basement. Polished ashlar,
channelled at ground with flat voussoirs over ground
floor openings. Wide flights of steps oversailing
basements to tripartite doorpieces; some with acid-
etched sidelights and door panels. Ground floor window
with ogee moulding; all upper windows architraved.
Corniced at 1st floor (mutule cornice at pavilions and
Nos 2-8) sash windows; plate-glass glazing. Band/string
course at 1st and 2nd floor cills. Modillion cornice;
blocking course; deep plain parapet at pavilions.
Roundheaded dormers. Axial stacks; at No 1 wallhead
stacks flank short roundheaded arcade; at No 8, 2 stacks
flank balustrade; at No 17 stacks flank pair of
elaborately moulded segmental-headed dormers. Good cast-
iron railings to basement and steps.
North range flank to Lynedoch Place (No 17) canted
central bay window to ground and 1st floors with
modillion cornice. South range flank to Lynedoch Place
(No 8) 2-storey canted oriel window corbelled from
Interiors with good cast-iron balustrades to stairs
(lion and thislte pattern). Corinthian column screens
and elaborate ceiling plasterwork.
Nos 9 and 13 (McBrayne Hall) doors now windows, steps
removed. Nos 7 and 9 billiard room extensions to rear at
Park Circus Lane. No 7: 2 storeys, droved ashlar,
polished ashlar margins. 1st floor pediment with ball
finials, mullioned window, oculus, eaves cornice. No 9
by J A Campbell 1887: 2-storey polished ashlar:
cantilevered canted bay window at 1st floor, small
oculus to left. Ground floor windows chamfered. Both
with cast-iron ventilators and flat roofs with
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.