This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 57411 66304
  • Coordinates257411, 666304


Charles Wilson, architect, 1855. French Renaissance pair of symmetrical curved terraces. 3 storeys and attic over basement; terminal pavilions slightly taller and with individual roofs. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground, painted or stonecleaned. 2-bay elevation per house, each with 2-storey canted bay windows with plain parapet.

Steps oversailing basement to tripartite doorpieces with consoled cornices; continued as 1st floor band course.

All windows architraved; tripartite above bays; 1st floor with lion mask consoles and cornices; 2nd floor pavilion windows also corniced. Sash windows, plate glass or 4-pane glazing. Continuous string courses at 1st and 2nd floor cills; bracketted cornice. Round headed dormers with spike finials; pavilion dormers grouped as pedimented Venetian windows. End and axial stacks; those to Park Street South with incised geometric decoration; steeply pitched slate roofs. Good cast-iron railings to basements and some steps; otherwise step parapet of stone with scroll details.

Interiors: Corinthian column screens: good plasterwork ceilings and cast-iron balusters to stairs. Flanks detailed as pavilions with single storey canted bay window to 1st floor except at No 1 Park Terrace which has square bay window. No 1 Park Terrace single storey

addition to rear (3 Park Street South) billiard room with interior by J A Campbell 1900; painted ashlar, broken pedimented niche above door and square end bay.

Interior: panelled with inglenook fireplace, plaster frieze and stained glass. Elaborately carved doors. No 14 and 19 Park Terrace; doors now tripartite windows.

Flank to 24 Woodlands Terrace: 2-4 Park Terrace East Lane corniced ashlar mews/billiard room.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.



Plans in NMRS for 4-6 Park Terrace dated April 1854. Gomme and Walker 1968 pp.94-5, 189. Plans for extension to No 1 Park Terrace in SR Archives D of G plan 1/7750 (includes interior design). Historical out-line of Nos 7 and 8 Park Terrace in NMRS.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at