Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 57886 66103
- Coordinates257886, 666103
George Smith, architect, 1838. Long symmetrical terrace with classical details; 2 storeys and attics over basement. Painted ashlar, channelled at ground; some stonecleaned. Paired Greek Doric porches to shallow advanced 3-storey centre and terminal pavilions. Steps oversailing basement to doors with pilastered reveals and fanlight; mostly with consoled cornices. Architraved windows to upper floors, corniced at 1st floor; consoled cornices at pavilions. Sash windows, plate-glass glazing. Continuous band course at ground and at 1st floor cills; eaves course; cornice. Partial roof balustrade with die pedestals; blocking course at pavilions. Axial stacks; octagonal flues set below ridge, plain above, slate roofs. Spearhead cast-iron railings to basement area; modern railings at either end.
5-bay flanks to Elderslie Street and Woodside Crescent similarly detailed. Nos 1 and 2 interiors modern and flank to No 1 (Woodside Crescent) rebuilt at least at ground floor; curved single-storey addition to rear; modern, pilastered. Former coach-house to rear of No
28; pedimented gable to Elderslie Street, public house in basement.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of Woodlands Hill A Group. No 17 has small wall plaque commemorating residence here of Joseph Lister, surgeon.
Pagan, HISTORY OF GLASGOW p.181. Gomme and Walker 1869; p.245.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.