George Smith, architect. Nos 1-11, 1835; Nos 12-21,
1842. Symmetrical pair of classical terraces in 2
detached ranges. 3 storeys, attics and basement; 3 bays
to each house; shallow advanced 6-bay terminal
pavilions. Polished ashlar, painted or stonecleaned.
Steps oversailing basement to Greek Doric porches:
paired at pavilions will full entablature and carved
metopes; balustrade over. Tripartite doors with
pilaster jambs, sidelights and fanlight. All windows
architraved; aproned at ground; corniced at 1st floor;
console corniced at 1st floor pavilions. Sash windows,
plate-glass or 4 pane glazing. Cornice over ground
floor linking porches. Eaves course; cornice;
blocking course. Mutule cornice and balustrade at
pavilions. Axial stacks; octagonal flues at gables and
below roof apex. Cast-iron railings to basement area and
some steps. Pavilion interiors: coffered plaster
ceilings to ground floor main rooms. 4-bay flanks to
Lynedoch Terrace; 5-bay flank to Claremont Terrace
similarly detailed. Rear elevation; several full-height
projecting square bays.
No 16 and 17 paired porches. No 11 flank to Lynedoch
Terrace with small ground-floor canted window
alteration. Original window with decorative cast-iron
basket grille. No 20 rendered billiard room addition,
with cupola. Modern 2-storey brick addition to East end.
Woodside Terrace Lane: mews range, single-storey with
loft. 3 segmentally arched entrances to coach-houses
survive. Upper floors mostly converted to dwellings.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.