This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 57865 62433
  • Coordinates257865, 662433


William Leiper 1875-8, soaring stone spire completed 1883.

Originally Camphill United Presbyterian church; built on

corner site, and added to N of 1873 hall whose architect

is not known. Normandy gothic, with good sculptured detail

executed mostly by MacCulloch and Co of London. Snecked

ashlar, polished dressings, slate roofs.

Tower at corner, buttressed massive lower stages, tall

off-set and open belfry stage, octagonal stone spire;

main gabled front to Balvicar Drive with buttresses,

recessed door in gabled porch with nook-shafts, pair tall

traceried windows over and winged figure (by Mossman) all

set in big shallow arch; plainer doorway either side, that

to right in tower, twin-gabled shallow wide transept to

Balvicar Street. Galleried interior, stone columns with

decorative capitals; extensive original stencilling scheme

by Leiper survives on roof but walls now whitewashed; also

a 3-light leaded window.

INTERIOR: high timber-vaulted roof with stencilled

decoration surviving intact; pointed aisle arcades, stone

columns with foliated capitals; pulpit also big and

decorative, with canopy, organ set on gallery.

HALL: Gable to Balvicar Drive, S flank to Queen's Park.

Statement of Special Interest



Gomme and Walker, pp 173f, 325, fig 154

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at