Thomas S Cordiner, architect; designed 1939, resumed 1949
completed 1953. Brick, concrete and ashlar school with
pantiled roof. Pivot metal framed windows with small lying
pane glazing. Long 2-storey S range with 2 projecting wings
to N, gymnasium to SE.
Symmetrical entrance front to S. 2 5-bay ranges flank
3-storey entrance bay, latter with advanced outer walls faced
to inside with large nailhead ashlar masonry. Doorway in
ashlar surround with carved panels; tripartite door with
glazed sidelights. 5-light window to 1st with carved panels
of Arts and Sciences. 2nd floor with full-width window to
Concrete band courses to all cills and lintels, deeply
overhanging concrete eaves; modernist fleche with cross.
To left, single storey kitchen wing; to right, single storey
gymnasium of 6-bays with windows set in ashlar panels.
2 projecting wings to N; that to E with hall, that to W with
refectory at ground, classrooms above. Ashlar bas-relief
panels to N wings. Sympathetic brick additions (circa 1979)
to NE, freestanding single storey blocks to rear courtyard.
Interior with most original features surviving; tiles to dado
level, floor tiles, some wood panelling.
Stairs with Mackintosh style baluster-screen.
Paved terraces to N and W with boundary and retaining walls
of brick with concrete coping. Shrine in brick with statue
of Virgin and Child to N.
Brick gatepiers with concrete coping, cast-iron gates.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.