James Thomson, architect; circa 1870. Astylar terrace of 12 4-bay houses. 44 bays arranged 20-4-20; 2 storeys, attics and basement. Polished ashlar, stonecleaned with painted dressings and architraves.
Steps oversailing basement to architraved consoled and corniced doorways, double-leaf doors. Vestibule doors tripartite with glazed side and fanlights. Full height canted windows to left with dwarf cast-iron parapet. All upper windows architraved, lugged at 1st plate glass sash windows.
Moulded band course to ground and 1st floor cills. Band and string courses at eaves; plain main cornice. Round headed dormers set in polished architraves with keystone and ball finial. Cast-iron balustrade linking dormers. Corniced axial stacks, octagonal cans; slate roofs. Elegant cast-iron railings to steps and basement.
3-bay flank with simpler details. Paired corniced wall head stacks flank dormers.
Stugged ashlar rear elevation; 2-storey canted windows with cast-iron parapet. Gabled and finialled dormers.
Low ashlar wall supporting spearhead cast-iron railings to rear gardens and lane. To front, pairs to tall corniced ashlar gatepiers to carriageway supporting cast-iron lamp brackets.
INTERIOR: fitted out circa 1880. Unusual contemporary double glazing system incorporating leaded lights. Elaborate stained glass in front door, some possibly of early date or in imitation (Henri Goltzias artefeci). Elaborately panelled and inlaid entrance hall with arcaded screen providing baffle to hall at right, latter panelled with Baroque overmantle.
Dining Room: Italianate panelled decoration, timber panelled ceiling, elaborate parquet margins, marble chimneypiece.
Drawing Room: L-plan with arched screen, elaborate deep plasterwork frieze and geometrically detailed ceiling, complex parquet floor. Other interiors including the billiard room contain details of interest.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.