John Honeyman, architect; 1881. Classical Renaissance church
with superimposed pedimented portico frontage. Polished
ashlar, banded masonry, stonecleaned.
E elevation; at ground, Ionic pilasters support dentil
pediment which is broken by 2-storey advanced pedimented
portico with 4-pairs of superimposed columns. Corinthian over
Ionic. At ground, smooth recessed round-arched panels with
bold keystones and rusticated margins contain square-headed
corniced windows, at centre double-leaf panelled doors. At
1st arched stained glass windows with pilastered reveals. Set
back and flanking main pediment are 2 small square open
arched bell-cotes with ogival lead roofs and iron finials.
To SE, single storey wing containing halls etc; detailed as
ground margins of main facade. Continuous dentil cornice with die-balustrade 5-bay flanks with round-arched windows to
upper level. Polished ashlar N flank with architraved,
consoled and pedimented door; cill strings. Droved ashlar S
flank with round arched gallery windows. Interior: aisleless
5-bay nave. Panel fronted gallery to 3 sides supported on
elaborately carved consoles and reached by stairs in towers.
Windows flanked by pilasters supporting deep coving; coffered
ceiling with iron beams painted and decorated with
plasterwork. Shallow organ recess flanked by Corinthian
columns and pilasters, organ 1913, with screen by Keppie.
Elaborately carved timber communion table, chairs and pulpit;
latter with walnut inlay. Stained glass by Douglas Strachan
circa 1920 and Margaret Chilton circa 1951. Flanking organ,
war memorial tablets.
To N and S stairs, memorial tablets to Dr R Drummond and Rev
W R Thomson.
Church halls to SE with timber ceiling and roof-lights.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.