Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59185 65002
- Coordinates259185, 665002
Alexander Thomson, 1863. Commercial building extended in 1864 in similar style to S, in Dunlop Street W only 3 bays remaining. 4-storey and attic, fine essay in wood-encased, masonry-concealed cast-iron framing, with Egyptian details. Painted ashlar. Modern shop fronts at
ground with frieze and 1st floor cill course.
1863 DESIGN: 10 bays with curved corner. Pilastered windows with Anthemion detail at 1st floor with chip carving to lintels. Applied, tapering cast-iron columns with wing-like capitals between 1st and 2nd floors. Decorative cast-iron balcony jettied at 3rd floor. 3rd floor windows divided by stone pillars with tapered necks, chip-carved and with capitals. Frieze with discs and cornice. Parapet with square finialled dies, divided by decorative cast-iron railings. Ashlar panel at angle inscribed "Buck's Head Buildings" and crowned by a buck couchant statue. Gabled dormer windows to each bay, set back between dies.
1864 EXTENSION: further 3-bays to Dunlop Street (remnant of warehouse), slightly advanced. Detailed as above, but with giant pilastrade between 1st and 2nd floors, with anthemion necking (no applied columns), and Greek-key chip-carving in frieze to 2nd floor (no balcony). 3rd floor windows narrower than those above and with broad, chip-carved pilasters dividing and paired capitals to each. Casement windows to 2nd and 3rd floors and top hoppers at 1st floor.
Statement of Special Interest
Built on site of former Buck's Head Hotel. Forms a watershed in structural logic, iron-framed (McConnell's patent) and disguised yet with applied IRON columns. Thomson's warehouse designs made reference to those of David Hamilton. Similar ornament was employed earlier by Thomson at Grosvenor Building (1859) and the Cairney Buildings (1860), and later at the Grecian Building (1865) and the Egyptian Halls (1871-3), Glasgow. The modern extension to S in Dunlop Street has followed the 1864 design in a more severe and lower key.
McFadzean 1979, pp.122-5. Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.145-52.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.