Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59036 65113
- Coordinates259036, 665113
Possibly by John Baird 1827-8; interior remodelled by Charles H Robinson 1900. Large bar, dining room and coffee room complex with entrances to both Morrison Court and Argyll Arcade and exceptional decorative interiors to upper floors.
MORRISON COURT ELEVATION: 3-storey, 7-bay, tenement-style with rounded angles. Painted squared and coursed masonry. Ground floor altered with evidence of segmental carriage arch in penultimate left bay, entrances to centre, left and right bays.
ARGYLL ARCADE ENTRANCE: segmental-arched columned timber entrance with deeply recessed glazed timber 2-leaf doors with sidelights leading to marble staircase and highly decorative tiled vestibule including cream, blue, green, yellow and brown patterned tiles and dado with regularly spaced floriate tiled columns.
INTERIOR: exceptional, highly decorative circa 1900 Art Nouveau scheme with outstanding carved timberwork and high quality plasterwork with Classical motifs. Ground floor altered. Timber island bar with columned timber gantry. Ornate arcaded glazed timber screen with etched glass with 2-leaf door leads to impressive panelled stairwell with mosaic floor and large wall painting at 1st floor landing. Ornate heavy dark timber staircase with decorative newel posts.
1st floor: arcaded glazed timber screens with etched glass to spine corridor with rooms leading off. To left of corridor: large dining room with timber panelled dado with bell pushes and deep frieze to cornice with low relief plasterwork with putti. Strapwork plasterwork to ceiling. Further smaller dining room with similar decorative treatment and ornate chimneypiece with overmantle mirror. To right of corridor: small bar with similar decorative treatment and further rooms including kitchen area. Glass chandeliers to principal rooms, some Art Nouveau stained glass.
2nd floor: large ballroom with vaulted coffered ceiling and parquet floor. Timber dado supports regularly spaced pilasters with plaster heads. Deep cornice with open pediments, egg and dart moulding and festoons. Classical marble chimneypiece with horseshoe tiled insert and overmantle mirror. Stained glass windows with wreath motif.
Mixture of glazing types, predominantly 2-pane over 2-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to top floor (with stained glass, see interior), some timber casement windows to 1st floor. Dormered mansard roof to outer 2 left bays with adjacent wallhead chimneystack.
Statement of Special Interest
Sloans is a rare example of a bar, dining room and coffee house complex with an exceptional opulent Art Nouveau interior. The upper floors contain dining rooms, smoking rooms and an impressive ballroom. The tiled entrance from the Argyll Arcade is of exceptional quality. Also of particular note is the quality of the timberwork, such as the arcaded glazed screens and impressive staircase. The decorative plasterwork is of some quality and completes the rich decorative scheme.
Probably constructed as part of the Argyll Arcade (see separate listing) in 1827-8 by John Baird, the interior was remodelled in 1900 by Charles Robinson. The later interior work was commissioned by David Sloan, a prominent Glasgow publican of the era. Known then as the Arcade Café, Kenna & Mooney note that it 'consisted of richly furnished dining rooms, coffee rooms and bars, in addition to a "cigar and tobacco divan" to which businessmen could retire'.
Charles Robinson specialised in ornate bar interiors and very few examples of his work are thought to survive. Kenna & Mooney quote the National Guardian of January 3, 1894 which described Robinson as 'one of the most successful designers of the new bar'. Category changed from B to A in November 1996.
List description updated as part of the Public Houses thematic study 2007-08.
1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1856-9). Kenna & Mooney, People's Palaces Victorian and Edwardian Pubs of Scotland (1983) pp87,104,116. Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p171. McKean et al, Central Glasgow RIAS guide (1999) p68-9. CAMRA, Scotland's True Heritage Pubs (2007) p65.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.