This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 60081 65840
  • Coordinates260081, 665840


Charles Rennie Mackintosh (of Honeyman and Keppie),

1895-1898. Compact plan, 3-storey and basement school

in red Ballochmyle freestone, squared and snecked with

ashlar dressings. Some bracketted cill and lintel courses

often in stylised form linking closely grouped windows,

and to single windows; eaves elevation cornice in a

variety of forms.

N ELEVATION: 7-bay, symmetrical block, with flanking bays

set back and gabled. Centre bay with blocked basement

doorway and bipartite above; outer 3 bays each side with

windows to each bay, quasi-balcony across 1st floor

groups, 2nd floor groups linked at cill and cornice levels,

latter raised at centre in keystoned shaped pediments.

2-bay simple return elevations. Entrances in recessed

gables, mirrored pair, each door set in advanced panel

with keystone and ogee carving to lintel above and

distinctive flanking ornament; double doors with tear drop

panels; bracketted string course above with quasi-balcony

and 2 narrow windows lighting stairwell, and small

window at 3rd floor with bracketted cill.

S ELEVATION: 9-bay with grouped windows, advanced

square stack, with bracketted overhanging coping,

towards E. Doorway in centre bay of centre group with

bracketted porch and square fanlight above. Plain

fenestration with some linking cill or lintel details.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: similarly detailed with stairwell

defined by 2 narrow windows and mullioned and transomed

broad round arched windows above, under deeply swept

eaves; narrow stair windows to right and left

respectively. Subtle variety of windows to rest of


Small-pane upper sashes and 2-pane lowers to sash and

case windows; square lead-pane glazing in stairwell

windows. Grey slates; coped stacks. 2 ogee ventilators

with decorative knot and finial, leaded bases (formerly

with balustrade).

INTERIOR: almost symmetrical with galleried light-well at

centre and stairs to E and W. Currently under repair

(1988). Walls tiled to wainscot level with green tiles at

top. Archways to corridors. Small-pane upper panels to

doors. Glasgow Style screens (currently removed 1988, to

be returned). Mannered details to roof trusses, and

Glasgow Style stair newels.

RETAINING WALLS AND GATES: ashlar walls enclosing entrance

courtyards, with balustrade to E and partial balustrade to

W. 2 sets of decorative wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Commissioned by School Board of Glasgow the outline of the

design follows their requirements, and complies with a

restricted site. However, distinctive Mackintosh features

are apparent, particularly in the stairwells, ogee

ventilators and interior details. The balustrade echoes that

in his earlier Queen Margaret College design, Hillhead,

1894. It is an early work by Mackintosh and contrasts with

his Scotland Street School composition of 1904. Burnet,

Boston and Carruthers 185 St James Road school 1906, gives

further instance of the School Board Schools' compact


Statutory address changed from 11 Barony Street to 17 Parson Street in 2009 following information from Glasgow City Council.



Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.220, fig.204. Information by

courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at