Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59033 65311
- Coordinates259033, 665311
Charles Wilson, 1850-51. Italian Renaissance palazzo style, 3-storey and basement commercial building, linked by 3 modern bays to Archibald Elliot's 1827 neo-Greek, 2-storey and basement building, opening on Royal Exchange Square and listed separately. 3-storey with 7 bays to Buchanan Street, 6 similarly detailed bays to return sides. Yellow ashlar sandstone. Modern stone-faced ground floor with billetted cornice.
Architraved windows with ornately consoled cornices to 1st and 2nd floor; variety of swagged masques to friezes above 1st floor windows, and swagged wreaths to those of 2nd floor, cavetto jambs, detailed with paterae at mid-point. Continuous band courses at level of window
cornices of 1st and 2nd floors, cill course to 2nd floor.
Guilloched paterae in main frieze, dentil moulding above and modillioned cornice; moulded coping to ashlar parapet, with dies at regular intervals.
3 recessed, modern ashlar, 2-storey and basement bays to E, in South Exchange Place and Royal Bank Place, linking with Elliott's earlier building.
Statement of Special Interest
Despite the loss of the interior, the refined composition of this building merits A listing.
Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.93, 118-20, fig. 90.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.