Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 06/07/1966
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 60096 65506
- Coordinates260096, 665506
1471 with extensions to W of 1670. 3-storey and attic former manse. Rubble sandstone, squared for quoins and margins; chamfered arrises to most openings.
E (CATHEDRAL SQUARE) ELEVATION: 3 widely spaced regular bays, each with windows of 18th century date, with additional windows flanking at ground and further smaller windows. Doorways in outer bays, that to right blocked as window.
REAR ELEVATION: extended 1670 to S by gabled stair block (dated and initialled on sundial on S side); 2 further gabled bays added to W at N end, mid-17th century, and linked to 1670 addition by bay with wallhead stack; irregular openings in variety of sizes; roll-moulded surround to doorway off-centre to left.
N ELEVATION: formerly crowstepped, but lost when abutted by tenement in 1840s (demolished in 1980); blank masonry, with 2 large modern windows to left.
S ELEVATION: blank gable end of 1471 with wallhead stack; weathered coat-of-arms of Andrew Muirhead on club-skewputt to E. Extension to W of 1 bay, with doorway inserted across former angle (now blocked), and windows to each bay. Sundial (see above) set on former quoin.
Modern timber-framed small-pane casement windows.
Grey slates; coped stacks with clay cans.
RAILINGS: Iron railings with mitre and shield finial and pedestrian gate, at SW.
INTERIOR: low ceilings with heavy, roughly hewn beams. Modern floors. Variety of wide fireplaces; huge lintels to hooded chimneypieces, relieving arches to those at ground floor; later bolection-moulded surround.
Statement of Special Interest
Built in 1471 by Andrew Muirhead, Prebend of Barlanark (Bishop of Glasgow 1455-73). Last surviving example of late medieval domestic urban architecture, and of the prebendal manses of the cathedral. Later the manse for the neighbouring St Nicholas Hospital; W extension of 1670 by William Bryson whose initials are set on the sundial to S. Mid 1840s tenement demolished 1980. Former lean-to hangman's house demolished this century. First restored 1906, by the then formed Provand's Lordship Society, and most recently in 1983. Re-roofed 1978. Collection of fine 17th century Scottish furniture.
Elspeth King PROVAND'S LORDSHIP 1984. Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.18-19. Cant and Lindsay.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.