This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/10/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 59282 64640
  • Coordinates259282, 664640


Clarke and Bell, 1873. Former fish market on the site of the Merchants Guild Hall (now demolished) and enclosing the 17th-century Merchants steeple to NE (see separate item). The site is an irregular triangle and consists of the Main Hall which has an elaborate cast-iron interior

and the E halls of plainer construction and circa 1889 date by John Carrick, architect. The whole fish market was internally redesigned 1987-8 around the original structural features as a shopping centre.

CLYDE STREET (S) ELEVATION: Main 8-bay show facade to Fish Market main hall, and to extreme right 3-bay facade of E halls.

8-bay Main Halls: polished ashlar, rusticated at ground. 8-bay front with round arched openings, to 3rd and 7th bays (from left) full height pilastered vehicle entrances flanked by paired engaged giant de l'Orme columns supporting projecting entablature, elaborate cast iron outer gates and tympani. Otherwise rusticated arches to shopfronts. Cornice over ground floor, swagged occuli at 1st with decorative cast iron ventilating grilles.

Decorated Doric frieze with cornice over, deep plain parapet, balustrading to centre 3 bays, over porticos plinths support winged sea horses flanking central medallion of Queen Victoria.

3-bay E section, now detached facade to E Hall, plainer than Main hall facade with 3 round arched vehicle entrances.

BRIDGEGATE (N) ELEVATION: long pedimented Renaissance facade to N, painted ashlar rusticated to ground, channelled to 1st. Arcaded ground floor with main 7-bay section (facade to Main Hall) to right, full height vehicle entrances to penultimate bays flank shop fronts.

Pilastered rectangular windows to 1st and 3 centre bays flanked by Glasgow City Arms and single windows.

Frieze and cornice with pediment over 7-bay section with 3-light window to tympanum, akroteria and central topical urn with fish finial at apex. To E, 6-bay plainer lower section (facade to E halls) has similar baying pattern with entrance archways flanked by shop fronts. To 1st, plain rectangular windows, at angle with Merchant Lane turret oriel.

MERCHANTS LANE (E) ELEVATION: brick walling. Single windows to 2 storeys at N end, attic windows light market halls.

INTERIOR: Main Hall: irregular rectangle, galleried on all sides, modern stairs give access to balconies. Galleries are supported on cast iron Doric columns, the roof on plain columns. Roof structure arched iron braces with decorative traceried spandrels supporting glazed and slated roof. Walling originally faced in white glazed bricks, now only surviving to N window surrounds.

E and Central Halls, lower subsidiary halls. Similar cast iron Doric columns support partly glazed slated roof.

Statement of Special Interest



SR Archives; D of G 1/938 dated 1889. John Carrick architect for the E addition to the Fish Market. Information by courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at