J Gillespie Graham, 1814-17. Neo-perpendicular,
rectangular plan church. Cream ashlar sandstone. Base
course; hoodmoulds to pointed arch windows.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay, gabled with semi-octagonal buttresses
to centre, rising to octagonal finialled turrets. Pointed
arch doorway with nook shafts and crocketted ogee
hoodmould above. 2-leaf timber segmentally arched,
panelled doors and pointed tympanum. Cill course below
tall nave window, 3-light and transomed with curvilinear
tracery; gable culminating in decorative corbelled gabled
niche with figure of St Andrew. Pierced, coped lattice
work skew parapet. Polygonal turrets flanking (see
above). Aisle bays with 3-light windows, detailed similarly
to nave window but smaller. Angle buttresses with
pointed, cusped panels, terminating in crocketted
pinnacles; crenellated skew parapets to aisles.
E ELEVATION: 6 symmetrical bays; 2-light windows with
quatrefoil tracery at head to each bay, divided by
buttresses; doorway in outer left bay below window, with
billetted architrave; 4 centre bays with canted flat-roofed
ashlar confessional boxes at ground, each with cusped
windows in chamfered sides. Coped crenellated parapet.
5 clerestorey 2-light windows to nave behind, with
intermediate buttresses and crocketted pinnacles.
W ELEVATION (TO FOX LANE): 6-bay, detailed similarly to E
elevation without the canted projections.
N ELEVATION: shallow canted apse projecting at centre with
tall 3-light windows on each face and coped crenellated
parapet; crowstepped blank apex to gable behind, with
Diamond lead-pane glazing; slate roofs. Decorative
INTERIOR: including alterations by the younger Pugin in
1871 and 1892. Central and side aisles; plaster fan vault
with ornate bosses; keel-shaped clustered columns with
capitals; painted and gilded chevron carving to depressed
chancel arch; marble reredos and canopied marble altar.
Fleur-de-lys finials to stalls; lattice panelling to
confessional doors. Decorative stained glass lights to
apse windows modern tripartite screen between vestibule
and nave, with some etched glazing. Lady Chapel and
Chapel of Our Lord with fine tripartite, Caen stone
altars, pierced, marble coped parapets and wrought
bronze gates. Ornate stone font; polychrome marble
pulpit; marble piscina.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Plan constrained
by narrow site, but successfully designed. Original
building cost $16,000 and the college, in a similar style,
which was originally intended to accompany the church, was
abandoned for financial reasons. Close parallels in the
composition of St Stephen's, Westminster, illustrated in
Carter and Capon's book on Westminster. The church became a
cathedral in 1889. Stone cleaning was carried out in 1982.
A modern hall adjoins the building at the NE angle, by the
paved square beside the cathedral.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.