Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59164 65421
- Coordinates259164, 665421
James Sellars, 1874. 3-storey, mezzanine and basement
5-bay office building, with attic storey added later.
Cream ashlar sandstone; vermiculated channelling
alternating with ashlar bands at ground, and to quoins,
cornice above ground floor; guilloche cill course at 2nd
floor; decorative eaves brackets, grouped in 3s and 4s,
to original mutuled main cornice. Round-arched entrance
with masqued keystone moulded architrave and guilloche
frieze; decorative wrought-iron 2-leaf gates and overthrow,
and window guards to ground floor bipartite windows;
swagged panels above bipartites, with mezzanine storey above.
Aediculed windows at 1st floor each with balustraded balcony
and segmental shell pediments; architraved 2nd floor and attic
windows. Pilasters on panelled dies dividing attic windows
modillioned cornice. Rear to Anchor Lane.
Plate glass glazing pattern, with some top-hopper windows.
Statement of Special Interest
Forms the central of three blocks closing George Square to
W, in a style begun by J T Rochead in 1869 in his design for
2 St Vincent Place, and completed in J Burnet's Merchant's
House to N, in a continuous Italian Palazzo style (both
Gomme and Walker 1987, p.157.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.