John Burnet, 1874-8, 3-storey and basement office building,
raised by J J Burnet 1907-8, by 2 storeys and an attic.
Sculpture by Young. Cream ashlar sandstone; base course,
channelled and vermiculated bands alternating at ground and
on quoins; ground floor cornice, guilloche cill course at 2nd
floor and mutule cornice with grouped brackets to original
eaves above 2nd floor; Burnet Son's additional storeys with
Giant attached columns on panelled dies and further mutule
cornice on paired brackets; urn finials above.
GEORGE SQUARE ELEVATION: 8-bay; broken and open cartouched
segmental pediment over Ionic doorpiece with moulded fanlight
in 2nd bay from left. Round-arched windows with masqued
keystones in ground, raised basement openings and decorative
railings. Architraved windows at 1st and 2nd floor, those at
1st with consoled, segmental shell pediments and balustraded
balconies. Bold keystones to 3rd floor architraved windows;
outer left bay broken segmental pediment over 4th floor.
CORNER BAYS: symmetrical, with ground floor windows detailed
as above and bowed 1st floor oriel supported by flying
caryatids, with Ionic mullions and blind balconies; fish-scale
carving to stone cupolas; tripartite 2nd floor windows,
bipartite 3rd floor and balconied 4th floor windows; single
light window under broad segmental pediment breaking eaves;
above, plinth supports drum tower with domed roof and gilded
sphere and ship finial.
WEST GEORGE STREET ELEVATION: 5 symmetrical bays more elaborate
at 1st floor. Tripartite doorway at centre with Ionic columns; round-arched bipartites flanking with masqued keystones; 3 1st
floor bipartites to centre bays with broken and open segmental
consoled pediments, with cartouches and symbolic figures.
Outer bays with bowed oriels detailed as above (left being
corner bay); bipartites to centre 3 bays at 2nd floor,
tripartites in outer bays. Giant attached columns to J J
Burnet upper storeys, and outer bays breaking eaves in
segmental panels with balconies at 4th floor.
ANCHOR LANE ELEVATION: 2 ashlar bays detailed similarly to
George Street elevation, to left, without the attached columns
of later storeys. Simpler ashlar bays to right.
Plate glass sash and case windows; slate mansard with timber
INTERIOR: marble lined staircases to E and N; stained glass
stair window by W and J J Kier, 1877-8, and panel in W door,
circa 1913; open timber roof by J J Burnet in Hall, circa
1913-14. Some furnishings imported from former Merchants'
Hall in the Bridgegate and later Hall in the County Buildings,
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.